• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 1, 2020

    Kerbal Space Program Hulloh, there! Congrats from all of us, Scott!

    Kerbal Space Program Hulloh, there! Congrats from all of us, Scott!


    Hulloh, there! Congrats from all of us, Scott!

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 11:54 AM PST

    No one told me when to stop so I just continued [90m Wingspan Flying-Wing Aircraft]

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 05:28 AM PST

    I'm working on an icon pack for RSS career contracts. I'm new to art, but I'm pretty happy so far!

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 05:43 AM PST

    Kerbal glitch program

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 01:07 AM PST

    "You broke it..."

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 06:08 AM PST

    I had my first moon landing at 2:30 last night, only three hours into the game! Happy New Years :)

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 12:54 PM PST

    Classic KSP re-entery

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 07:56 AM PST

    So... I've gotten quite a few requests to build it... 350 Parts and 178.9m Wingspan later, I shall present you THE B/X-9000 "ARC-BIRD" (Lift-Off Video in the Comments)

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 09:23 AM PST

    testing out a vtol in kerbal sea program

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 02:49 PM PST

    Jeb has (somehow) brought the Dreamliner into Dreamland

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 04:40 AM PST

    Lets kick off 2020 with my first creation of the year a Motorcycle! The 2020 Parvati 990

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 11:24 AM PST

    Think It Really Tastes Like Chicken?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 05:52 PM PST

    Any one else like to design ships more then taking them on missions? This is a dump of some of the ships I made for my recent heavily modded playthrough.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 09:06 AM PST

    A semi-long story about my greatest space rescue in KSP

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 05:16 PM PST

    So every few months I kick KSP back up and find myself a little rusty, and invariably I'll start a new campaign and re-learn the ropes. The itch struck a few weeks ago so I quickly did a few Mun flybys, landed on Minmus, and figured the time had come to put a space station in orbit. I built my usual hub, got it into a ~125k orbit, and readied my second module including joining strut, rudimentary communications and the field lab. Attached the guidance core and some power and we were off.

    My first mistake was deciding to conserve fuel and taking a very lopsided orbit figuring I'd wait until I could get a >100km rendezvous between the two orbits and getting a periapsis of ~250km meant I could speed things up. My second mistake was forgetting to deploy my solar panels and reverting to regular time to find my power was drained and my core was dead. I've got about 300,000 KSP bucks saved up so this was a decent investment but not an insurmountable one. Nevertheless, I know all I had to do was send somebody up to deploy the solar panels and jet back down, problem solved.

    Well I hire a new pilot (Jeb is currently marooned on the Mun waiting for science to catch up to him) and head up, get a rendezvous and have Lobal Kerman (new pilot) scoot on over EVA and deploy the panels. I think to myself, "Self, you should have a pilot in the science module in case this happens again." Of course I'd originally forgotten to staff the science module in the first place, so I have Lobal scoot back over to his ship, engage a deorbiting burn, and scoot back to the science module. My man is a fresh pilot and has now conducted three successful EVAs and executed an orbital rendezvous with a dead station component without the benefit of stationkeeping abilities.

    My next realization is that my booster stage connected to my science module is nearly drained and there's no way I can recover. At this point I'm frustrated at how much time and effort I've sunk into something I can easily replace and although he's a hero, losing the station and Lobal isn't anything I can't replace. I'm about to hit the terminate button when I have a sip of my coffee and realize which mug I'm drinking from.

    It's the mug I bought from the JSC in Houston when I got to visit a few years back. On it is emblazoned the famous line from Apollo 13 fictitiously spoken by the great Gene Kranz: Failure is Not an Option. I decide it isn't an option in KSP, either.

    I head back to the construction hangar and put together a quick and dirty replacement booster stage with a docking port, fly it up and manage to get it attached to the science module. I've now got approximately 900 dV to play with, and manage to get a circular orbit just a few m/s behind my station core. We're home free!

    Well, not quite yet. Turns out my monopropellant reserves are nearly depleted from having to rendezvous two different craft to this component, and we're on fumes. I can get close using my booster stage but any translation in docking mode is going to need to come from the station core. I swap vessels and the core is hardly designed for translation: I burn through the 80-ish units of monopropellant pretty quickly before it too is on fumes, although at this point I've managed to present a decent face to the science component. The rest is going to need to be eyeballed. I lock both craft on each other's docking port and swap back to the science module for the final time.

    I manage to line things up more or less correctly, we're maybe 15 degrees off perpendicular to the station core. At this point my biggest fear is missing the docking port and either destroying one port or the other or one of the connecting struts on my science module, rendering the whole exercise kaput. I ease forward a tenth of a m/s at a time to the station core and miss my docking port, but manage to swing 90 degrees (it's a tetrahedronal station so has five docking ports) and attempt a second docking on the next port. My breath catches as I see both ports make contact. Suddenly, the camera pans out and I have control over the whole station! We're attached! The day is saved!

    Now to get another craft up and swap Lobal out for a scientist, and give him his well-deserved trip home to be celebrated as a hero.

    TL:DR, saved myself from my own poor planning.

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/SkolVision
    [link] [comments]

    I saw this on this subreddit and I will make a better one soon

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 10:52 AM PST

    The coolest thing I've ever done in KSP. Now I'm stuck, though.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 02:04 PM PST

    I finally landed on the Mun! I actually landed right side up and over time slowwwwwwllllyyyy fell over :-(

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 03:21 PM PST

    I created a little quadcopter drone!

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 12:41 PM PST

    J.A.C.K. (Just Another Controller for KSP) - Suggestions to improve are welcome

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 11:29 PM PST

    After much contemplation, I finally got the BreakingGround DLC, here's my first prop - plane: the Icarus

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 03:27 PM PST

    A hydrofoil.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 02:43 PM PST

    What A Beautiful Sight...

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 07:36 PM PST

    Hostile B/X-500 being Intercepted by a X-22 "Moth" over the Gulf of Rocea [2045, Holograph]

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 07:33 AM PST

    My first modular space station

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 02:46 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment